This spring, BIA Cares awarded prizes to three middle school students and one high school student in the Greater San Diego Science and Engineering Fair. BIA Cares industry professionals judge middle and high school categories pertaining to the construction industry and award cash prizes for those science projects dealing with construction-related problems.
“BIA Cares participates in the Science Fair every year in the hopes of encouraging the next generation to continue fostering an interest in the construction and real estate related fields,” says Pete Reeb, president of Clarity Real Estate Advisors, who is also a BIA Cares past president and Life Director.
Reeb has chaired the judging of the Greater San Diego Science Fair for 24 years for BIA Cares; awarding over $18,350 in prizes. BIA Cares Board members/Judges included: Trish Edmondson, Cornerstone Communities; Mark Ellis, Petra Geosciences; Marcia Yafuso Loeffelholz, Hecht Solberg; and Angela DiDio, DiDio & Associates.
- David Wise, St. Augustine High School
- “Testing Low-Budget Water Purification Methods for Rural Areas using Physical Models”
- Ahmad Zubaidi, Bright Horizon Academy
- “A Solution to Earthquake-Proof Affordable and Sustainable Housing in San Diego”
- Ryan Ricardson, St. John School
- “Conserving Water Using an Automatic Faucet”
- Maliya Montemayor, St. John School
- “Honeycombs – Not Just for the Bees: Optimizing Cell Types for Architecture”